Thursday, December 1, 2022

What Child Is This*

 
1. What Child is this, who, laid to rest,
In Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King
Whom shepherd guard and angels sing.
Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

2.  Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?**
Good Christian, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading. 
Nails, spears shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail, the Word made Flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh***
Come, peasant, king*** to own Him.
The King of Kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise the song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy, for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

--William Chatterton Dix, 1865

*usually sung to the English folk tune "Greensleeves"

**It's not known for sure what animals were present at Jesus' birth.  The Luke 2 account says He was laid in a manger, so people assume He was born in a stable where other animals were present.  Some people feel Mary rode a donkey down from Bethlehem to Nazareth, though the Bible doesn't say this either.  Still, these animals make it into much of the religious art and into Nativity scenes.  

***It seems the Magi (sometimes called "Wise Men") came later. They have sometimes been referred to as "kings", though they were not really rulers.  [Psalm 72 has similar thoughts and refers to "kings", though.]  This, as Christ's birth itself, shows the low & high of society worshipping HIm. 

10 comments:

David C Brown said...

One small boy added, "the stable bear".

The Son of man has not where he may lay his head.

C. Marie Byars said...

The "stable bear" is cute.

Jesus certainly did not get the 5 star accommdations at birth, nor through most of His earthly life.

Have a Happy Christmas!

David C Brown said...

I've put together a book at:
https://www.lulu.com/shop/david-c-brown/progress-and-other-verse/paperback/product-6zvvwp.html?q=Progress+and+other+verse&page=1&pageSize=4

I'd be glad to send you a copy if you would like.

C. Marie Byars said...

Yes, please send me a copy. We will have to find a way to exchange mailing addresses, as I keep that and my e-mail private on-line. Are you able to receive e-mails through your blog?

Anonymous said...

I think we sometimes forget that Jesus was born to die for us.

David C Brown said...

I thought I'd replied; my email address is on the blog.

C. Marie Byars said...

Thank you, anonymous, for visiting. Yes, the crucifixion comes through very much in this song. One of the beauties of reading it as poetry rather than singing it as a hymn is taking the time to ponder nuances in the words more fully.

C. Marie Byars said...

David-- I looked briefly at your blog. I'll get down to it when a few things settle down in the new year. Church and musical obligations keep me busy this time of year. Then I have some schedule changes and training in one of my secular jobs in the new year. Be blessed.

C. Marie Byars said...

I just found out that the "ox and ass" portrayals go beyond assuming what might be in a stable. Medieval Roman Catholic churchmen and songwriters were adding their interpretation of Isaiah 1:3-- "The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s feed trough [manger, crib], but Israel does not know; My people do not understand."

C. Marie Byars said...

Hi, David. I went ahead and ordered a book. I'll get over to your blog in a bit.