Monday, May 1, 2023

Waterfall

      These photos are from a hike into Zapata Falls in south central Colorado last year.  The waterfalls are in the Sangre de Cristo ("Blood of Christ") Range within the Rocky Mountains.  (For more on our trip there, see the post from October, 2020.)

      Some fresh translations from Psalm 42 add to the reflections.

















7) Deep calls unto deep
At the noise of Your waterfalls; 
And all your waves and billows
Over me have passed.
8) In the daytime will Yahweh command His lovingkindness,
And in the night will his song be with me--
   a prayer to the God of my life...
11) Why, O my soul, are you cast down,
And why are you disquieted within me? 
Have hope in God,
For yet shall I praise Him,
The salvation of my expression [literally 'face']
And my God.    --Sons of Korah  




Notice how the falls spill from rocks high above.  Hikers are not allowed in that area.





    For fans of the Chronicles of Narnia, which are Christian allegories, waterfalls are in many stories.  C.S. Lewis' upbringing in parts of Ireland contributed to his depictions of Narnia.  I like occasionally mentioning Narnia in this blog because Lewis does such an amazing job describing the landscape.  It is part of the great joy of going to Narnia. The Hollywood productions (as Hollywood will do) focus so much on the great breathtaking near escapes that the amount of time just absorbing natural wonders is lost.
     Lewis does mentions a number of waterfalls throughout The Chronicles of Narnia. The most well-known is in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, where the Beavers take the Pevensie children along the ravine below a waterfall in order to avoid being caught by the White Witch.  She traveled by sled and couldn't follow them down the narrow space. 
    The Great Waterfall is at the furthest western limit of Narnia.  Falling over spectacular cliffs into Cauldron Pool, it becomes the source of the Great River. 
    In the last book. The Last Battle, the trickster ape, Shift, lives near these falls.  He finds a lion skin in Cauldron Pool and tricks his foolish donkey friend, Puzzle, into wearing it and pretending to be Aslan, the Great Lion (the metaphor for Jesus).  This great hoax brings down Narnia.  

    At the end of Narnia, as the move into ever greater, more beautiful eternal Narnias, Aslan's dearest go UP the great waterfall, in a way they never could have done in their previous lives.  (Imagine climbing those!)  I could not find any artist renditions of the beloved going up the Narnian falls, so I will leave you with these final Zapata Falls photos.  My husband took these.  If you look close, you can see me in blue shirt with the giant straw hat, which I refer to as my "ugly potato farmer's hat."  (This is not to imply that potato farmers are ugly, only that my hat is.)  It has warded off skin cancer, though!  And then he took one of me closer up, getting the photos you saw above.  What a day it would have been if we COULD have ascended the falls!






2 comments:

David C Brown said...

This looks bold.
Deuteronomy 8:7: "For Jehovah thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of water-brooks, of springs, and of deep waters, that gush forth in the valleys and hills".

I've been reading Henry Vaughan, The Waterfall recently. Takes a bit of thinking about! https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45433/the-water-fall

C. Marie Byars said...

Hi, David.

Lovely thought from Deuteronomy. That verse had gotten right by me.

I'll have to look at Henry Vaughn a little more closely.

This is an entirely different take on waterfalls, a book called "Above the Waterfall." It's about the many tragedies yet some triumphs in a depressed, drug-ridden area of the American Appalachian Mountains, in West Virginia. One of the characters likes Gerard Manly Hopkins poems.

Be blessed this season. We have already had some days around or above 40 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit). Fun.